Map of the 2019 Traslacion de Nazareno Procession Route
It is the time of the year again where devotees of the Black Nazarene converge at the streets of Manila, taking in the annual Traslacion de Nazareno, or the procession of the Black Nazarene. The Traslacion or the Black Nazarene Procession recreates the transfer of the image of Jesus of Nazarene from the old Recollect church in Bagumbayan (now Luneta) to Quiapo Church, on the other side of Pasig River.
It is known for its surreal experience of chaos, order, religious devotion (or fanaticism to some), and the colorful culture of the Filipinos.
|Traversing the crowd|
For 2019, the Black Nazarene committee mentioned that there shall be no changes in the route. It shall traverse from Quirino Grandstand at Luneta and all the way to Quiapo Church on 9 January 2019.
"There will be no changes to the route of the processions. We will follow last year’s route,” Alex Irasga, head of the Traslacion working committee, as mentioned on Inquirer.net story.
|The Luneta-Lawton side of Manila as the andas passes by|
The Luneta-Lawton side of the procession has wide avenues and spaces. However, it is the traverse between Jones Bridge and to Quiapo Church--through the streets of old central business district of Manila--that is more dangerous due to narrow roads and other hazards such as open manholes.
You may read more about our experience with the Black Nazarene here.
The route shall be:
- From Quirino Grandstand, they will traverse Katigbak Drive towards Padre Burgos Avenue (on westbound-southbound lane).
- Turn left towards Liwasang Bonifacio/Lawton Plaza on corner Padre Burgos and Taft Avenue. They shall not cross the Lagusnilad bridge anymore.
- Straight to Jones Bridge
- Turn right to Dasmarinas Street
- Turn right towards Plaza Santa Cruz
- Turn left towards Palanca Street
- Turn left to Quezon Boulevard then turn right to Arlegui Street
- Turn right to Fraternal Street
- Turn right to Vergara Street
- Turn left to Duque de Alba Street
- Turn left to Castillejos Street
- Turn left to Farnecio Street
- Turn right to Arlegui Street
- Turn left to Nepumuceno Street
- Turn left to Aguilar Street
- Turn right to Carcel Street
- Turn right to Hidalgo towards Plaza Carmen
- At Plaza Carmen, where Basilica del San Sebastian is, a ritual stopover called "Dungaw" where the image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel shall meet with the image of the Black Nazarene. The images were both from Mexico and of Recollect origin.
- Turn left to Bilibid Viejo Street
- Turn left to Gonzalo Puyat Street
- Turn left to Guzman Street
- Turn right to Hidalgo Street
- Turn left to Bautista (Barbosa) Street
- Turn right to Globo de Oro Street
- Turn left to Quezon Boulevard, under the Quezon Bridge, turn right to Palanca Street
- Turn right to Villalobos Street and straight ahead to Plaza Miranda then to Quiapo Church.